Personal Protection Order (PPO)

Muslim Divorce & Custody Lawyers

Syariah Legal Advice By Muslim Lawyers

We understand your situation

If someone is harassing you outside of your family by causing you distress, you may be able to take out a Protection Against Harassment Order against that person. If that person is a family member, you may also apply for a Protection Order. At Emerald Law, we understand that in situations like this, living life can be difficult as you are constantly under stress and the actions of another person is causing you such anxiety that it makes life difficult. 

Talk to us today, there’s no cost for our FIRST TWO consultation. 


It is for us to discuss your matter briefly and to provide you with a general overview. There will be no review of documents during the free first consultation.

Yes, there will be charges but be rest assured our charges are reasonable.

We will try our best to accommodate your financial needs. We offer fixed fee arrangements and even instalment payments for our services. 

However if you are truly unable to afford the services of lawyers, we will recommend that you approach the legal aid bureau or law society pro bono services to see if you qualify.

It is best to take out a PPO application at the family court. This may have implications on the divorce (Especially for women when arguing under fasakh) and children for care & control and access.

Generally, you will have to show that family violence has been committed against you and that it is necessary for an order to be made. There are 2 limbs.

It is not necessary to be physically abused for a PPO order to be granted.

You will then have to convince the court solely on the basis of your testimony (your words) at trial.

Section 64 of the Women’s Charter states that “family violence” means the commission of any of the following acts:

(a) wilfully or knowingly placing, or attempting to place,
a family member in fear of hurt;

(b) causing hurt to a family member by such act which is
known or ought to have been known would result in

(c) wrongfully confining or restraining a family member
against his will; or

(d) causing continual harassment with intent to cause or
knowing that it is likely to cause anguish to a family

but does not include any force lawfully used in self-defence,
or by way of correction towards a child below 21 years of

No. For this you will have to approach the Civil Courts to apply for an order under POHA (Prevention of Harassment Act)

We will have to look at the facts of the case before advising.

It is going to be very challenging for a laymen to take part in the trial process without a lawyer. It is recommended that you engage a lawyer for such matters. 

Please watch our video here for more information on Personal Protection Orders.

You may read a more in-depth article here to find out more.

Speak to a lawyer now


Our specialised lawyers and their team are standing by to assist you. Our first consultation is free.

Why Choose us

we are specialised

Each and every lawyer assigned to your case is someone who has handled many similar cases before. They each bring a specialised element to your matter ensuring that your case is handled with the utmost care.

we provide solutions

We ensure that the advise and solution provided to you resolves your matter in the most efficient manner. We are not here to simply talk, we're here to provide REAL solutions.

we are committed

We provide service with such dedication that we can even arrange to meet you outside of our normal office hours.

Speak to a lawyer now


Our specialised lawyers and their team are standing by to assist you. Our first consultation is free.

WhatsApp us